Monday, September 22, 2008

The Office

I amble into the breakroom of my office job and spot Bill digging through the non-dairy creamer options in the cupboard above the sink. We meet at the Senseo® machine.

“Hey, Bill.”

“Hey, Robert, how’s it going?”

“Not bad.”

Pause.

“Bill, can you grab me a Hazelnut Waltz?”

“Whoa, that’s a good one. Here you go.”

“Thanks. What are you drinking?”

“Boca Sunrise.”

Nice.”

Pause

“Hey, Bill, could I ask you a question?”

“Sure.”

“I mean, I really need you to be honest.”

“No problem, Rob.”

I look around, lean in and speak in a hushed tone, almost a whisper.

“Does my butt look big to you?”

Pause

Bill fidgets, starts rearranging the sweetener options. “Aw, no, not at all! No. You look . . . fine.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really, I wouldn’t lie.”

“See, I’m doing these exercises and I’m worried about . . . the overall size.”

“No, man, you’re cool. I haven’t noticed a thing.”

“You’re sure?”

“Yeah.”

Pause

Bill opens two packets of Splenda. Picks up a coffee stirrer. Takes a quick glance my way.

Pause

“I thought those black chinos the other day really worked for you. Maybe if you wore those more often.”

“Okay, that’s a good idea.”

Pause

“Have you tried pleats?”

“What would that do?”

“I don’t know. Pleats are kind of poofy. That might . . . . give you more room.”

Long pause

We stare at each other.

4 comments:

moneypenny said...

Memo to self: close office door before reading Robert's blog at work. I'm laughing so hard! Word of advice --pleats will make your butt look big. I think they make stretch Levis. Just keep chanting "bigger butt means more power".

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

You should totally write for The Office.

g_tree said...

Please please please don't wear any kind of pants with pleats. That's not cool man. Not cool.

TK said...

well, it does kinda look big from here...